East Malling Open Spaces
East Malling Playing Field
East Malling Playing Field was transferred to the Parish Council in January 1950 by the Wigan Family (who used to live at Clare House) for the sum of £1,000.
It was managed by a voluntary committee until 1991 when the Parish Council was made sole custodian Trustee by a Scheme made by the Charity Commission.
The idea of a playing field had first been discussed at a Public Meeting in 1944 followed by many meetings, fund raising and negotiations before the purchase contract was signed in 1949.
In that year a Tennis Club was formed, and the cricket club laid a concrete practice pitch.
In 1950 the former ragstone wall along New Road was demolished as being too costly to repair and the ragstone sold for £50. The Memorial Gates were also erected as an entrance to New Road to be later re-located when East Malling Village Hall was built.
A playground with equipment was established close to “The Institute” hall.
By 1953 the Malling RDC had built the Clare Park housing estate and a pedestrian entrance allowed “so children need not go into the dangerous New Road”.
The Village Hall was built in the north-east corner of the field in the late 1960’s and is now a separate charity also managed by the Parish Council.
In more recent years the play area was re-located to its present site close to the village hall and a Ball Park provided.
Clare Lake is set in the historic former grounds of Grade I Clare House – and is now in the grounds of The Malling School
Pictures of the first cutting of the soil down at the churchyard, on the site of the new community room - the Apple Tree Room will go.
The site is now being explored by Darnley Archaeological Services, and Roman remains have been found here,
and by the East Malling allotments Maidstone Area Archaeological Group are conducting a dig showing some interesting buildings.
East Malling Village Green
Rocks Close Green